|Orange Chilli Marmalade
Recipe type: Marmalade
Chili peppers intensify the citrus flavor and add zest to this unique marmalade. Use it to add sparkle to cheese trays or serve as a condiment with coconut-battered shrimp. And don’t forget toast – it makes the traditional something special.
- 4 1/2 cups of oranges (unpeeled), seeded and thinly sliced
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 6 cups water
- 3 dried hot chili peppers
- 9 cups granulated sugar
- 8 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- COMBINE oranges, lemon zest and juice and water in a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes. Add chili peppers, partially cover and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until fruit is very soft, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard chili peppers.
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
- BRING mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Maintaining boil, gradually stir in sugar. Boil hard, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches gel stage, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and test gel. If gel stage has been reached, skim off foam.
- LADLE hot marmalade into hot jars leaving 1cm headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
- PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Makes 8 Half Pint (8oz) Jars